“Surviving and Thriving: Education in Times of Change”
March 26–28, 2018 | Art Center Kobe, Kobe, Japan
In 2017, IAFOR education conferences in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and North America have brought together delegates from around the world to consider the theme of “Educating for Change” from a variety of different perspectives and approaches, taking full advantage of the international make-up of the attendees and the huge diversity of experiences. A recurring theme throughout the conferences was the reference to the future, be it immediate or longer term, as being uncertain; the natural resilience and optimism was counterbalanced by both apprehension; with hope also came fear.
In this period of great global political and economic instability, rising inequality and social unrest, the role of education within society has never been more important, but never more vulnerable. This brings us to our conference theme for 2018, which references these inherent vulnerabilities in both educational systems and the individual students and teachers, as well as the necessary resilience needed to not only survive, but also thrive.
How do we teachers, administrators and policymakers adopt and adapt to change outside our control? How do we nurture and encourage positive change, through the excitement of the imagination, innovation and creativity? How can technologies be better used to help us teach, and to help students learn? How do we sustain and manage change? How can we react positively to negative change? How can we, our institutions and our students survive and thrive in these times of change?
ACEID2018 Conference Photographs
Human interaction is at the root of all knowledge creation, and hence the great importance of the conference in introducing, testing and spreading ideas through challenging, rigorous and thought provoking discussion and debate. But beyond that, a conference is also a great chance to meet people from around the world, and to extend and grow ones’s professional network, and above all, to make friends.
It may be impossible to tell the story of the conference, or rather the many hundreds of interlocking stories that go to make up the conference, but the documentary photography in this slideshow aims to give a taster of the more serious academic side of the event, as well as the lighter side…
The Organising Committee of The 8th Asian Conference on Education & International Development (ACEID) is composed of distinguished academics who are experts in their fields. Organising Committee members may also be members of IAFOR's International Academic Advisory Board. The Organising Committee is responsible for nominating and vetting Keynote and Featured Speakers; developing the conference programme, including special workshops, panels, targeted sessions, and so forth; event outreach and promotion; recommending and attracting future Organising Committee members; working with IAFOR to select PhD students and early career academics for IAFOR-funded grants and scholarships; and overseeing the reviewing of abstracts submitted to the conference.
- Dr Aaron Tan, Singapore Institute of Management Global Education, Singapore
- Dr Abdul Aziz, UIN Maulana Malik Ibrahim Malang, Indonesia
- Dr Adelfa Silor, Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology, The Philippines
- Dr Andri Zainal, Universitas Negeri Medan, Indonesia
- Dr Bethe Schoenfeld, Western Galilee College, Israel
- Dr Bonimar Tominez, Nueva Vizcaya State University, Philippines
- Dr Chalermchai Wongrak, Ubon Ratchathani University, Thailand
- Dr Deborah Javier, University of the East, Manila, The Philippines
- Dr Diobein Flores, Department of Education, The Philippines
- Dr Doris McEwen Harris, McEwen Education Consulting & Curriculum Auditing, United States
- Dr Elena Mishieva, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russian Federation
- Dr Greg Misiaszek, Beijing Normal University, China
- Dr Helen M. Llenaresas, Bicol University, The Philippines
- Dr Irina Madeyeva, Autonomous Educational Organization ”Nazarbayev Intellectual schools”, Kazakhstan
- Professor Jayson Lannu, De La Salle - College of Saint Benilde, The Philippines
- Dr Lauren Misiaszek, Beijing Normal University, China
- Dr Martiallou Organiza, University of the Visayas, The Philippines
- Dr Nenita Delos Santos, Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, United Arab Emirates
- Dr Rennie Saranza, Philippine Normal University (PNU)-Mindanao, The Philippines
- Dr Tanju Deveci, The Petroleum Institute, United Arab Emirates
- Professor Tatiana Ille, Gulf Medical University, United Arab Emirates
IAFOR's peer review process, which involves both reciprocal review and the use of Review Committees, is overseen by conference Organising Committee members under the guidance of the Academic Governing Board. Review Committee members are established academics who hold PhDs or other terminal degrees in their fields and who have previous peer review experience.
If you would like to apply to serve on the ACEID2019 Review Committee, please visit our application page.
ACEID2018 Grant & Scholarship Recipients
Our warmest congratulations go to Jenise Boland, Ngoc Nguyen, May Anne Joy de Lara-Romanes and Hillary Swanson, who have been selected by the conference Organising Committee to receive grants and scholarships to present their research at The Asian Conference on Education & International Development 2018.
IAFOR’s grants and scholarships programme provides financial support to PhD students and early career academics, with the aim of helping them pursue research excellence and achieve their academic goals through interdisciplinary study and interaction. Awards are based on the appropriateness of the educational opportunity in relation to the applicant’s field of study, financial need, and contributions to their community and to IAFOR’s mission of interdisciplinarity. Scholarships are awarded based on availability of funds from IAFOR and vary with each conference.
The Organising Committee of the relevant IAFOR conference awards scholarships to eligible applicants who have submitted exceptional abstracts that have passed the blind peer review process and have been accepted for presentation at the conference.